2014 has come and gone and The Benfica Nation was able to create and share multiple memories. As discussed on the recent Benfica Podcast (Episode 140 aired December 30) there was a lot to be proud of. In 2014 Benfica made history in Portugal by being the only team to win the treble of Portugal (The League, The League Cup, and Portuguese Cup) and also make their second consecutive UEFA Europa League Final. The victories against rivals FC Porto. The memorable goals from André Gomes, Nico Gaitán, Enzo Perez and many more. Even our centre backs Ezequiel Garay, Luisão all scored those crucial goals which led to the success of our club. Benfica’s B Team were also a hot topic as we began to see the emergence of such raw talents as Bernardo Silva, Rui Fonte, Bruno Varela, João Cançelo, João Teixeira and many others. Benfica made history again as their Juniors (U19) were in the finals of the first ever UEFA Youth League which featured more future stars of tomorrow such as: Gonçalo Guedes, Thierry Graça, Romário Baldé and many others. Benfica’s Museum Cosme Damião continued to attract multitudes of visitors from all over the world. The museum has become such a success that Benfica’s rivals created their own museums (not original) Benfica TV, hosting the 2014 UEFA Champions League Final, celebrations at the Marques, success in all other sports affiliated with the club, the Seixal, our entertaining coach and his antics, a President who is dedicated to our club and who is not scared to be innovative and go above and beyond to continue to make this club the most supported club in the world. If you are an outsider and have been ignorant for 110 years then I hope you are reading this. There is no club out there in footy who is as special, innovative, magical as SL Benfica.
So what does The Benfica Nation have to look forward to in 2015? Here is a preview of 10 realistic goals and events in which most likely may become a reality this year.
1) Benfica wins the Portuguese League for a second consecutive season. The first time in over 30 years they are “Bi Campeoes” of Portugal
2) Jorge Jesus receives a contract extension to coach Benfica for possibly 2 or more seasons.
3) Although Benfica’s main team had an early exit from all UEFA competitions, Benfica’s Juniors (u19) had another successful campaign in the UEFA Youth League competition
4) Benfica TV continues to grow throughout the world thus making it one of the most successful footy themed channels subscribed in the world
5) Benfica continues to be the most followed team in the world not only in social media but their number of paid members (soçios) continues to rise
6) There will be 3-5 additions to Benfica’s main squad who graduated from Benfica’s B Team and Juniors
7) Benfica will continue to sell players at a record price. Matić left for 20M, Enzo Perez for 25M, Rodrigo and André Gomes for 35M. Nico Gaitán will finally leave in 2015 in between 15-20M and possibly a few of our “Homegrown” talents
8) David Luiz, Fabio Coentrao, Javi Garcia, Rodrigo, Lazar Marković and many other former Benfica players will continue to express interest on social media in returning to Benfica but will remain loyal to their clubs
9) @Benfica TV will finally acknowledge the “Benfica Podcast” which will hit the 1000+ followers mark in 2015
10) Steven Vitoria will leave Benfica and play for a mid table team in Europe or debut in the MLS.